The symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning are subtle at first and familiar to many of us: headache, fatigue, disorientation, nausea. If you are asleep, it is unlikely that you will realize what is happening to you and your loved ones.
Some CO facts you need to know
- A small amount of CO can poison you over a long period of time.
- A large amount of CO can poison you over a short period of time.
- 89 percent of all reported non-fire CO incidents are residential.
Carbon monoxide, a chemical byproduct of combustion, can enter your home through a faulty gas vent pipe from an appliance such as a furnace, clothes dryer, water heater, or stove. Wood-burning stoves, clogged flues, or car exhaust from an attached garage can also produce this toxic gas.
Using a CO detector is the only way to know this poison is present
*Carbon Monoxide–Related Deaths—United States, 1999-2004 JAMA Vol. 299 No. 9, March 5, 2008 † Jennifer Flynn, “CO Deaths,” NFPA Journal, January/February 2008.